Saturday, May 7, 2011

Ode to my Momma


Madre,
I know time together is the best gift I can give you, right? Since that isn’t possible today… I thought this Mother’s Day I’d share some of the things you’ve given me…


Growing up, you have influenced me in how you were raised, and all the hard things you had to go through and fight for things in your life in ways that I will never know how…


I know that you had to go through some tough stuff.. getting a divorce, coming out as gay… I know that a lot of terrible things were said to you when I was young.  But there hasn’t been a day in my life where I haven’t looked up to you, thought of you as the most beautiful and intelligent mom with amazing grace and determination.


And I know that I wasn’t the easiest child to raise: a free spirit, a mind of my own, strange, and precocious …are all ways of saying “Duh….major pain in the ass”.  Although tough, somehow you were always there and able to fulfill and nurture all my needs and interests-through art, dance, travel, music, horses.. and a whole lot of patience. 


And I know Happiness is truly what we make it..


And I know we have had our differences and sometimes we don’t always see eye-to-eye on things, but you were the one that taught me to have a mind of my own  ;)


And I know that rich life isn’t measured with millions of dollars..


And I know that everything I’m confident about in myself comes from you.  My features, my eyes, my ability to laugh and smile at myself, my creativity.  You taught me everything about life and taught me how to love myself, simply because you love me.  You have guided me into my own independence, you trust my opinions and always have an open mind to hear what I have to say.  You always listen to me and allow me to make my own mistakes, and you have never judged me.  Had I been completely sheltered from life… I would never learn, and when life pushes me around, you are always there for me and continually giving me strength to push back, and surprisingly, I’ve always pulled through.  And you have taught me that even though I’m 23 years old, it’s ok to cry when I miss my mom.  It is ok to cry anytime. 


And I know that beauty is all around us every where we go, but we still must seek it out and create it.


To be able to put into words how much you mean to me, would be the equivalent of me trying to fill the grand canyon with single grains of sand.  You are my hero.


Happy Mothers Day.  I will always thank you for who I am. 


I love you mom.


She's never pulled anyone from a burning building
She's never rocked Central Park to a half a million fans, screaming out her name
She's never hit a shot to win the game
She's never left her footprints on the moon
She's never made a solo hot air balloon ride, around the world,
No, she's just your everyday average girl (but)

She's somebody's hero
A hero to her baby with a skinned up knee
A little kiss is all she needs
The keeper of the cheerios
The voice that brings Snow White to life
Bedtime stories every night
And that smile lets her know
She's somebody's hero

(Song lyrics from Jamie O'Neal, "Somebody's Hero")

No comments:

Post a Comment